• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Airspeed indicator check

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GarandOwner

Reaction score
My 38' Cub with a Continental A75 typically only has an indicated airspeed of 55-60 MPH which is slow even for a Cub. I noticed the airspeed indicator is slow to come alive on the take off roll so I decided to make a simple manometer to check the accuracy of the airspeed indicator across the flight envelope. I measured the height difference of distilled water when the Airspeed indicator showed in 5-10 mph increments; I found that mine reads on average 10mph under what the true airspeed is.

I will check it a few more times (and have my wife do the same) to see if the results are repeatable and reproducible. But it makes since that even with my shallow 36" pitch prop I get such a low IAS.

May be time to get the ol' airspeed indicator overhauled.

13176.jpg

manometer.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back