• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

A-65 Mag Drop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cubbers,

Among a couple of other "ankle biters" I decided to address this annual, was my lack of visual drop on the tach during mag checks.

I've got the original tach (overhauled), but like so many other old airplanes I've flown, the needle just kinda meanders back and forth between numbers and takes a second or two to settle down. The only indication of an RPM drop is the slightest audio sound when I move the mag switch, and you have to know what you're listening for to hear that much. I've tried everything from 1,400 - 1,700 RPM for the check depending on which reference I use. Is this normal for an A-65? The Slick mags only have a couple hundred hours on them.

I thought maybe I was just being paranoid, but if an everyday C-150 trained guy got in my plane, he'd taxi back to the hangar with a claimed P-lead problem. My A-65 always starts easily on the first pull, so it gnaws on me a little to think it might be sitting static in the hangar, only a kid's pull away from starting.

Thanks,

Mike-

Latest posts

Back