• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

800x4 to 31" Tire Modification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbarnett

Reaction score
Finally, tonight was the night I planned on completing the installation of my new Grove Brake Kit....having decided I better seek some professional expertise with regards to installing the rivets to ensure I would not break my aluminum wheels, I finally returned to the hangar with the rivets installed by a local machine shop.

I carefully read the instructions and got to the step of reinstalling the tire/tube on the wheel. Everything is lined up nice and pretty, the cotter key has been neatly bent, now let's put the air in the tube.

In an effort to make sure the tire seats tightly on the wheel, I'll just add a little extra air and then relieve the pressure once it's securely seated. BAM....well, that's what it sounded like when my 800x4 turned into a 31" Tire...okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. Needless to say, the retaining portion of the rim separated under the extreme pressure.....DON'T DO AS I DID.

BTW, the cotter pin did not fail, perfect installation....the only failure aside from the retaining portion of the wheel was the obvious VOID between my ears.

Oh well....now I've gotta find a replacement to go on my wheel....doesn't look as though I will be flying with my new Grove brakes this weekend.

Blue Skies and Watch That Tire Pressure!!

Latest posts

Back