• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

7.00x4 Cub tires

taylorj2cub

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm restoring a 1936 Taylor J-2 Cub, I'm looking for a 7.00x4 tire to finish my restoration, anyone out there have one or know anyone who does??? Thanks for any help at all. Doug Griffin

D

Dan McNeill

Hey Doug,

I don't have any leads on 7.00x4.00 tires. Sounds like your J-2 is getting ready to fly! Great! We just overhauled the mighty A-40 on my J-2. Need to put the engine back on and go fly.

Do you have any pictures of your little beauty?

Dan McNeill
Placerville, California
1936 Taylor J-2 Cub

taylorj2cub

Reaction score
Hi Dan, good to hear from you. I have my wings and tail ready for cover, have 2 complete sets of original instruments overhauled, and in an original panel, brang new pistons made for my A-40, new exhust made, but when it came to my fuselage this past winter I discovered some bad news. With that 1025 mild steal, my perfect, uncut 1936 fuselage rusted out from the inside out, to the point it was beyond repair. I have Tim Klingenberg in Wichata KS making me a complete brand new one out of 4130, should be done this spring. I drove my fuselage to him this spring to see his shop and work, I was very impressed, fantastic jigs, great gas welding and great knowledge of Cubs. Right now I have 2 new NOS 7.00x4 tires, but with mismatched tread, looking for one more to make a matching set. I need to call you this winter, need to see your J-2 and get some notes. Doug

D

Dan McNeill

Hey Doug,

Whoa. What a bummer about the fuselage being so corroded. At least you will know that the new fuselage has been done right... I've heard nothing but good things about Klingenberg's work.

What kind of exhaust did you have made? I've seen various types, some with carb heat some without. Mine has the standard curved stub exhausts with the curve of each tube aimed precisely at your ear drums. It's loud.

Call anytime. Better yet, get down here and take the J-2 for a spin. It's no showplane, but it's guaranteed to put a big fat grin on your face.

Dan

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
I have Tim Klingenberg in Wichata KS making me a complete brand new one out of 4130, should be done this spring. I drove my fuselage to him this spring to see his shop and work, I was very impressed, fantastic jigs, great gas welding and great knowledge of Cubs.
Doug, Do you have any contact info for Tim? Maybe some others on the site would like to contact him for help.

Will

taylorj2cub

Reaction score
Dan, I'd love to come up and fly with you. My USFS contract ends in 2 weeks, then I'll have the winter off. My exhaust are the same as yours, the 4 short stacks, I think i like those the best, kinda like the noise. Will, It took me weeks of pestering Tim to do this project. I did my homework on him, and yes he does do outstanding work. He did not want to do my J-2, but he finally agreed, however, I believe this will be one of his last, he is closing up shop, and not taking anymore orders. Its to bad, one hell of a craftsman. Doug

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
Thanks Doug, I understand. I just thought it would be nice to have some more resources for the members, but many of these craftsmen are private and I respect that.
Good luck on the J2 restro and I hope to not only see pictures, but also read about the progress!

Will

Latest posts