• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

500 MPH would roughly be what TAS at 30,000 ft. ? Just for fun .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J5Mike

Reaction score
I tried to change the heading but that would be 500 mph at sea level . I also read that Rare Bear's speed record was flown in Las Vegas, New Mexico . Which wouldn't be at sea level . So the question is how much faster would be at 30 K + altitude than at lower level ?

The racer "Rare Bear can fly 500+mph at low level , What would the average TAS at 30K ? The reason I ask is an experimental P-47 went 500 mph + at 34.5 K feet in 1944 . Rare Bear holds the piston driven aircraft speed record in his class . How much faster would Rare Bear be when compared to the experimental P-47 from 1944 apples to apples . (This is an ongoing discussion from another forum and I can't figure out what speed Rare Bear would do at the same altitude .)

Rare Bear has set many performance records for piston-driven aircraft, including the 3 km World Speed Record of 528.33 mph (850.26 km/h) set August 21, 1989, which still stands in his class.

XPJ-47 : When fitted with a GE CH-5 turbosupercharger, the XP-47J achieved a top speed of 505 mph (440 kn, 813 km/h) in level flight on August 4, 1944 at 34,500 feet over a course in Farmingdale, New York, piloted by Mike Ritchie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back