• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

'46 J3 Project on eBay

R

Richgj3

I rebuilt a T Craft years ago. I started with a flying, licensed airplane that I owned. It took me 2 years of spare time and I did NOT do the engine. It cost in materials exactly what I sold it for 4 years later. My advice: If you like building, get a Wag kit. At least you'll have a new airplane when done. If the goal is to save money buy one somebody else rebuilt. Maybe I'm living in the past, but I think if anybody paid more than $5-8K for that they would be "under water" by the time it was done. Especially if you consisder your time is worth more than a dollar an hour.

Rich

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
I hear you Rich, I think it would take at least $20K to complete this and then you would have a $35K cub.

I just like to keep an eye on these things and see what they go for.

Will

hames57

Reaction score
I've learned my lesson on buying cubs. I got mine for 14 grand with good covered wings and ailerons and tail feathers and a 38 hour millenium engine, new prop and overhauled carb, and mags etc. I did end up with a no good fuselage and undercarriage that will have me into my airplane about 35 grand minus my labor. If I upgrade, and that is the plan, to a bigger engine, I'll be into it closer to 45 grand. So, I'd say that 8 to 10 k for the e-bay project would be reasonable. You really don't know what the fuselage is going to be untill it's been blasted. I think the comment on building the cubby is something for someone to seriously consider if you are going to be getting into a 45 grand cash investment, exluding labor. I suspect that the same investment on my part would have netted an airplane that would resale for 70 grand or more as a new Cubby. My J3 will probably not be worth more than 40 grand at completion of the same cash investment and not a lot less labor.

But, I've always wanted a classic cub, I have the money, so that is why I've gone that route. I would like to get a faster taildragger, to do some cross country eventually, so I'm looking at buying an RS7 kit when I've got the cub flying. I'd keep both airplanes though.

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
Is there a website for the "Cuby"?

Will

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
Oh, I get it. The Cuby and the Sport Trainer are one in the same correct?

Will