• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Technical help with my L-4B propeller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeP

Reaction score
Dear J3'ers

Hello I have just joined the forum and I am also a new L-4B owner with a problem - just the one at the moment!

I imported my 1942 L-4B from the US to the UK last year and I almost have it compliant with the CAA regulations for a full C of A. It has been assembled and test flown (everything was perfect), and the only stumbling block is the propeller.

When my aircraft was in the USAF/CAP it was fitted with a metal McCauley ALM-72-46 propeller - this was in June 1969 according to the logs, 2 months before I was born!
It has flown all this time with the same prop, but the CAA quite rightly said that it is not certificated with the aircraft or engine (C65-8) and I have purchased a brand new Sensenich W72CK-42.

So, I have the original C65-8 engine that was fitted to the aircraft and the correct type of propeller, but the L-4 manual does not detail the hub assembly details, only the complete propeller.

My questions are:

1. What type of hub assembly do I need to fit the Sensenich W72CK-42 propeller to my tapered crankshaft C65-8?
2. Can this assembly be purchased off the shelf?
3. Can somebody please list ALL the components in this assembly - so that I can pass it on to my engineer for him to order the parts.
4. The assembly that is on the aircraft (from the McCauley prop) seems similar to the diagram in the Continental manual, but we are not sure if it is a common hub for all props, or whether it may provide some useful parts for the new propeller - any ideas?

As a side note, I am now hoping to sell the McCauley ALM-72-46 propeller (to help offset the cost of buying the Sensenich W72CK-42), any ideas what sort of second hand price a 1950s vintage ALM-72-46 should be sold for, it is in good condition?

Many thanks in advance.

Joe

Latest posts

Back