• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Seeking Advice - 1946 J3 Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keydet_J3C-65

Reaction score
I bought a 1946 J3C-65 (albeit with a C85 mined from a Luscombe!) back about 20 years ago.

I owned it, flew it, worked on it, taught kids to fly it and generally had a ball with it. My "owner-assisted" annuals over these years have been helpful on the wallet, but not as thorough as I now want.

Now I am at a crossroads in ownership.

It is time for an in-depth once-over. The cotton covering and dope is well past time for replacement, and I want to look really good at all connections and welds.

The bird was completely restored in 1979 and only has about 700 hours since. It has always been hangered. I don't expect to find extensive corrosion, be can see a few spots to get into further. I am not looking to make her a showpiece, just put a few more years on her and hand her down to kids.

Having owned and worked on many types of planes, singles and twins and trained as an engineer ... I do feel competent to take it on, but how do I get the A&P (with IA) involved?.

My mechanic of 20 plus years recently passed, so all personnel going forward will be new to me.

Where do I even start what I am sure will be a multi-year program? Local EAA chapter?

Or .... should I sell as is, where is and start looking for a new girl ????

Thanks for any advice and wisdom .....

Wayne in VA

File_006.jpg

Latest posts

Back