• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Restoration has been way too quiet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
The restoration board has been way too quiet. I don't know what's happened with Magnus, but I'll post a couple pix of my J3 as it is coming along. I'll remind some of you that my airplane is a '46, serial number 20890. However it had a lower gross fuselage made up of bits and pieces. It looked good in pictures when the prior owner bought it. Only at the next annual did the mechanic completely fail the airplane. Wings, fuselage. It is a good thing he did. When I bought the thing at a 15 thousand net dollar loss to the prior owner, and stripped it down, there was no salvaging the fuselage, or the gear legs. Rust, cracks, poor welds, bad pitting, bends, little was square or plumb. I couldn't find any damage history in what appeared to be a good and complete set of logs. But it was clear that 20 years in training, 20 years in dusting, that there had been plenty of damage and a lot of BAD repair work. It did look great in the photos that the prior owner used to buy the airplane...sight unseen.

So, here are two pix of the airplane in the ugly pink brushed on Poly Brush, after gussets and tapes, etc. I'll be really glad to get all that covered up with silver and color. Putting in the interior has been a nightmare of learning, and re-doing, but I think the next cub I do, if I do another will go much quicker. I can understand why a lot of cubs have no or little interior fabric. But, that work is about done, and I hope once color is on that I'll be proud.

Cheers

MVC-031S.JPG

MVC-032S.JPG

MVC-031S.JPG

MVC-032S.JPG

Latest posts

Back