• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

New to Flying J3s... this ex T-craft driver is looking for some help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry

Reaction score
Hi

Just an introduction.

I just found this forum. Looks like a great bunch of Cub lovers on here.

This past Saturday I went up to Van Sant Airport (southeaster PA) to get checked out in their J3. It was a little gusty out with a cross wind, in four landings I managed to bounce it in three times and a pretty decent landing on one. (nothing like I use to land my T) The instructor said in another 3 or 4 landings he'll sign me off (YIKES!) Going back in two weeks (it's close to a 2 hour drive.)

I owned a T-craft for 12 years (250 hours flying her,) sold it and started flying 172s : (
'nuff said

Three things were "working" against me on Saturday.
1. Van Sant's runway looks like a rollercoaster (nothing I can do about that.)
2. My running shoes seem to be a little too big to fit in where the rudder pedals are...
no problem with heel brakes 'cause my T-craft had them.
3. You can't see the instrument panel with a passenger in front of you. I spent more time looking
around my instructor's head than I did out side. (not a good thing at all.) I felt like I was fighting with it the entire time.

Is there any tricks that anyone uses to minimize #2 and #3 above ?

thanks
Jerry

CrossWindLandingJ3.jpg

CrossWindLandingJ3.jpg

Latest posts

Back