• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

N4223S..work continues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispy critter

Reaction score
Ya just gotta love someone else's handy work,lol.....
Replaced the throttle cable today on the cub project. Keep in mind this airplane was recovered in 2000... When I pulled the cover plates off the throttle handles to access the cable inside the cockpit guess what I found....the fabric had never been cut out to access any of the throttle quadrant mechanisms. Also found the cotter pins in the control rod between the two quadrants and the cotter pin in the throttle cable were installed up-side-down(from the bottom up) with no washer behind the pins. The one on the cable was worn to the point that when I touched it lightly it broke and fell out. I think someone needs to be a little more detailed on their inspections.

When I first got my 1940(N33242), I lost the rear throttle on the third or forth flight because the control rod came loose from the rear quadrant. Luckily I had my uncle in the front seat and let him do the landing. On short final he went to close the throttle and it hung up and would only come down to about 1600rpm's. I knew the runway was made so I just killed the mags. Upon inspection I found the same issue with the cotter pins installed up-side-down and badly worn. The reason it wouldn't come back to idle was because the control rod had fell down and was hitting something in the sidewall of the fuselage(at least they did cut the fabric out on mine,lol).

On a positive note, I did get the new cale installed and works as slick as a greased minners tail. I also installed my new eyebrows and the prop. I weather permits I'll probably try to test run it.

Latest posts

Back