• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Another excess oil on the belly thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a3holerman

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 46 J3 with a C90-8.
I just had to have the engine O/H again after only 133 hours due to sitting too long in a damp hanger. With the overhaul done I put about 13 hours on it at high power to break it in. The oil always, even before the most recent overhaul, would blow out the breather down to 2 3/4 qts and I would bring it up to 3 1/2 or so. It was still doing the same I decided to do the breather mod with the extended breather fitting. It did not seem to make any difference so today we did the rerouting of the breather line up and over. I reoriented the fishmouth on the fitting to now be at 10 o'clock.
Went out and flew for just over an hour at 2350-2400rpm hoping to see no or very little oil from the breather tube. To my dismay it was the worst I have ever seen it droplets all over the underside aft of the breather hose.

I realize I did run it at a fairly power setting as the rings are still setting in but this seemed way to excessive. The oil as down to about 2 3/4 qts again which makes me nervous. Tomorrow I will fly again with normal 2200rpm and hopefully it will not be the mess it was tonight.

Does anyone have any idea on why this problem is still there after doing the complete breather mod?

Thanks for any comments

Tom

Latest posts

Back