• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Wrong prop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Is the wrong prop? Looks like a 68-44 and you will get a lot more performance if you cut it off and make it a 72 and repitch it to 39. I have used 78-41s on John Deere tractors with good results but did have some problems with prop strikes, and leaving trenches across the yard. Of course if you do go to the flatter pitch, you will have much better performace for climbing straight up hillsides which is much safer than the parallel method which can result in torque induced rolls down the hill. However, you really must watch out for steep hills if your fuel level is below 1/4, because your carb will be unable to draw fuel and the engine will stop. This could result in a tail slide, and the John Deere tractors are not approved for tail slides.

I only have 15,000 hours on John Deeres, so not near as good as you guys, but this is my experience based on using my prop John Deer on the glaciers of Mount Everest.
In good fun,
Chuck Shaw

CubTractor.jpg

CubTractor.jpg

Latest posts

Back