• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Wind driven electrics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
I am not wildly experienced with these things. The two Cubs I fly with the Ward Aero setup - both with Odyssey PC-680 batteries - need external charging after every single flight. My battery only Cubs need charging once a month or less, flying daily.

With the new J-4, I discovered something: The Odyssey will not recharge unless it is hit with about 40% of its capacity for at least the first hour. The previous owner was hooking it to a Ctek 0.8 amp trickle deal after every flight, and it was maintaining the Odyssey at about 11.8 volts - enough to run the radio and master solenoid for an hour, but not enough to start the engine. Half capacity is 12.18 volts.

The Odyssey manual makes a point of stating that some motorcycle alternators will not recharge the battery - presumably for the same 40% reason.

I hit it yesterday with six amps for 2 1/2 hours (watching input volts carefully). After charge it was sitting at 13.1 Volts. I need to check it today, but 12.8 or better is full charge, so today I can probably use the starter.

Moral of the story - modern batteries are different. The Ward Aero setup probably doesn't work with a recombinant technology battery. And chargers are critical - never hit them with over 15 Volts.

Next step is to bypass the master solenoid, and hope that with the field off that Ward generator will not destroy itself at 80 mph. What a lousy setup.

Latest posts

Back