• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Whats it take for LS instuctor ?

farm-tim

Reaction score
So, I have about a thousand hours in differant types of aircraft and I'm looking for my next challenge. I am a private pilot with IFR, tail wheel, and High performance ratings.
?? What is involved in getting my Light sport instructor ratting ??
Do I start with a CFI ?
What test do I have to take ?
Check ride ?
Can I give tailwheel transition training to a Private pilot in a LSA?
Insert other stupid questions here?

Many moons ago I instructed in ultralight aircraft and really enjoyed it.

I wont be teaching ground loops, Tim

farm-tim

Reaction score
Ok i read the whole thing, and ill probably have to read it about 100 more times. So far I see 2 things that dinged me
(1)"§ 61.403(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand English." ;D
(2) § 61.431 Are there special provisions for obtaining a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating for persons who are registered ultralight instructors with an FAA-recognized ultralight organization?
If you are a registered ultralight instructor with an FAA-recognized ultralight organization on or before September 1, 2004, and you want to apply for a flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating, not later than January 31, 2008— BLAH BLAH BLAH you can skip a lot of stuff DARN :(
Tim

R

Richgj3

Tim

George (Coulene?) sometimes here and definately on Supercub.org just got his SP CFI and he statred as a Sport Pilot.

There is probably a Practical Test Standard book (PTS). You will have a written to take, plus the Fundimentals of Instruction (FOI) written unless you have a teaching degree.

You should try to find him since he just got it done.

There is talk of the FAA wanting to get rid of this rating, so do it soon.

Since you aready have your instrument, it might make more sense for you to get your commercial and the go for the regular CFI-A

Rich

Rich

cubdriver2

Reaction score
I wont be teaching ground loops, Tim
But a student should be taught that if the landings gone bad, landed long with no room to abort, or a TO that had to be aborted after rotation, that it is better to intentionally ground loop it at the end of the runway, then hit trees or go into a deep ditch and wreck the airplane, a scuffed wingtip or broken wing is better than destroying the whole aircraft.

Glenn

farm-tim

Reaction score
Since you aready have your instrument, it might make more sense for you to get your commercial and the go for the regular CFI-A

Interesting, I was reading about that in the FAR AIM this afternoon.
I thought it was a bigger deal than that, Tim

R

Richgj3

Tim

The biggest issue in gettig the CFI-A in my opinion is having the Lesson Plans for the different phases of instruction. Not sure if that is a SP requirement. It is not a big deal if you can find somebody who just went through it and copy theirs.

CFI training and check ride is not about flying, it's about teaching. Just ask the FAA. A CFI check ride DOES NOT count as a BFR, but a Seaplane rating does. Go figure ???

Rich

R

Richgj3

There was an opinion last year from FAA legal which can be found on the EAA website. I even think I posted a copy of the letter here. I know it was discussed on Supercub.org and Joe Norris of EAA posted the info over there.

Basically, the lawyers said since the CFI check ride is to see if you can teach, not if you can fly, it does not count as a BFR. The examiner may sign you off for a BFR based upon the same flight, but it must be a specific sign off, not automatic like getting a new rating. They are saying a CFI ride IS NOT a "pilot proficiency check". Amazing.

I always used to renew my CFI by flying with a DPE, since I worked for him. Now in addition to doing the 8710 for the renewal, he has to fill out my logbook for a BFR at the same time.

I'll see if I can find that letter and post it again.

Because of this, I was "illegal" for half a year. This is another pet peeve of mine. The is no way to know this stuff unless you are reading a lot of magazines or active on boards like this. Same thing with this stupid DC 60 mile training. Did anybody get a notice from FAA telling you you had to do it? NO. I still run into people who never heard of it.

Also the plastic license thing. How many guys out there with paper in their pockets?

farm-tim

Reaction score
Also the plastic license thing. How many guys out there with paper in their pockets?
ok, Can you explain that too
Tim

R

Richgj3

John,

The key words are "pilot proficiency check".

FAA legal DOES NOT consider the CFI check ride a "pilot proficiency check". It doesn't make sense to me either. I didn't write the letter.

I'll find it and post it. It's not a big deal as long as you know about it get the additional sign off.

Rich