• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Wanted: Lower Cowl Air Induction "Y"

cubflyer2

Reaction score
I am looking for a j3 Cub Lower Cowl Air Induction "Y". New or Used.

Thanks
cubflyer2

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Page 8 of the Univair J3 Parts Manual (free pdf download)
Part # U72522-000

jimmy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used a Wag Aero, good welds, and still doing well.

Jorgen

Reaction score
A friend made what looks like a great mod: The "Y" + hoses mounted to the engine with custom fittings and a rubber gasket to seat properly against the lower cowling. It seems to work great and I actually think it would be a safety enhancing feature- without having to undo those pesky little hose clamps everytime you might be more prone to remove the lower cowling and thus check the lower part of the engine more often.

Just (L-)4 fun/ Jörgen

43-491

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
After a while, I just took the scat tubes off. My friend's Cub has the Y-induction inlet screwed on from the front of the cowling, so that it separates from the cowling instead of permanently riveted. When removing the lower cowling, remove the screws from the front, that separates the Y-induction fitting from the cowling. It just hangs there on the tubes. Not original, but makes it easier.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also do that.
Four #6 oval head stainless machine screws into nutplates.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
Me too. I thought most Cubs were set up that way now. I just switched to 2" flexible Aluminum ducting like the originals...What a pleasure ! compared to fighting the SCATT spiral wire !

jimmy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my tubes permanently clamped up front at the induction Y. When installing lower cowl, it takes a little jiggle to get the airbox through cowl opening, then just slip SCAT tubes into muffler housing. Works for me.