• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Wanted: Continental O-200

txaviator

Reaction score
Trying to locate a Continental O-200. TSMOH is not a real factor, as I will be rebuilding the engine. Prefer logs and NO prop strike. If you have any leads on one of these, please let me know. I need this engine for a Legend Cub kit that I hope to start within the next 6-months or so.

Thanks!
Gary Robertson
[email protected]

NickTx

Reaction score
What's the difference between a C90 and an 0-200? I know of a C90 for sale, 0smoh. It's in Texas.

txaviator

Reaction score
The C-90-12 was the original and produced 90 hp. In the forties, when the government bought a bunch of these engines, they were reconfigured to produce 100 hp, and re-named the O-200.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Please let me know if you hear of an O-200 (since I do want the extra 10 hp).

I have read on multiple sites that over 60,000 of the O-200's were produced, so hopefully one will show up somewhere ;D Obviously a very popular engine in C150's, Champs, T-Craft, Citabria's......

Thanks again for any/all leads. My uncle is an A&P so we will perform the overhaul. I'd just like to get the engine and get that chore out of the way before I bring home the Legend kit.

Have a great evening.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nick, the differences are in the case, cam, carburetor, and vacuum pump. A very few 90's had the O-200 type mounts and vacuum pump (if I remember correctly), but you aren't likely to see any of those.
JimC

windypoint

Reaction score

txaviator

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies thusfar! I appreciate the info on the eBay complete Jabiru, but for whatever reason(s) I am just an old die-hard Continental guy. My grandparents owned and operated a private strip in Keller, TX (Robertson Field) for many years. He specialized in rebuilding Cessna's that had encountered storm damage, crash damage, etc. I just guess from a young age, I have had the Continental engine embedded in my mind ;D

I'll keep on looking until I find a complete engine, for now.

Enjoying the forum, and again, I appreciate all of your replies.

Gary

huston marlowe

Reaction score
Wonder how the cost of core-plus-overhaul compares to new engine price ? Probably you want to mod. to get more than 100 hp ?

txaviator

Reaction score
Huston,

I am fortunate in that, I have an uncle who is an A&P. He also has very tight relationships with many of the aviation machine shops around the area- in the likely event that I need to have some parts re-worked. My uncle has done all maintenance on some of our local DFW TV helicopters for many years (thus, he has some great connections).

I will not be paying anything for labor, as this will all be done along side him, with his help and expertise. In addition, I am hoping to get some of his buddies to cut me some $$ slack when parts are needed. At the end of the day, I don't know how the comparison will be (rebuilding versus new), but I am extremely hopeful that I will come in with a freshly overhauled powerplant at a much lower cost than buying new. And yes, I'd like to do a few minor modifications so I can grab a few extra HP.

Take care,

Latest posts