• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Wanted: Aqua 1500's

B

boardmant

Looking for Aqua's or Baumanns before Im forced to buy new...Aqua's $15,000, Baumanns, $16,200 with J3 rigging pref thanks Tom 585-305-5759

patrick.

Premium Member
Reaction score
Are these 1500s for a J3??? Have you flown a J3 with 1500s???

carlmill

Reaction score
All of the J-3's at Brown's seaplane base are quite happy on Aqua 1500's. Baumann's are 50 lb lighter. You'll be happier with 85 hp or more of course.

Carl

windypoint

Reaction score
Check with Waterwings in Rochester, New York. I bought a Legend Cub from them and it had a brand new set of Bauman floats that I didn't need. I don't know if the sold them. The plane was at Genessee county airport at Beaucart Aviation. Not sure of the spelling.

carlmill

Reaction score
Yes, they are sold :)

Carl

Windy,

How are the skis you bought with the plane working out?

scotiamen

Reaction score
FYI I am considering selling my VG condition totally redone Edo 1320's that would allow me to upgrade to Baumanns.

I do like the Edos and don't want to part with them but but as a "big guy" the bigger floats and 50lb+ stc is a huge plus with the Baumanns.

I have invested $$$ in the edos would be a big saving for someone, while I upgrade.

Any suggestion what they could go for ( edos painted wing walk on top all rigging). Can easily be transported to Maine.

David

902-749-8547

j3 rebuild sm028.jpg

j3 rebuild sm 023.jpg

j3 rebuild sm028.jpg

j3 rebuild sm 023.jpg

windypoint

Reaction score
I only had one landing last Spring by the time I returned to Alaska. At the time I did not have a tail ski and the maule tail wheel would not stop breaking through the crust and almost was stuck on the glacier for the night . I put the Scott 3200 on so I could use the Trick Air tail ski. Have not had a chance to use it yet. I will try when I return to Alaska in May.

B

boardmant

The 1500's will work nicely with my J3 with a C90! Little heavier than Baumanns but sturdier and forgiving. Ill be in chop occassionally at my lake so opting for a little larger..Loved em at Browns! We got off lakes I was scared to go into!

carlmill

Reaction score
Tom,

Glad to see you're leaning towards the 1500's. Besides the usual sites (SPA, Tradeaplane,Barnstormers), you might contact Doug Ronan at: http://www.dougronan.com/ontario/ for north of the border sources. His email and phone are listed at that site.

Hope to see you at Long Lake this summer,

Carl

patrick.

Premium Member
Reaction score
OK,, just wondering what aircraft with what motor you were using.. The 1500s are heavier and didn't know if you were worried about weight,, they are certainly better in rough water also.. The 65 Horse motors have a tough time with the big floats,,but,, 85 horse and over/above should work just fine.. Jon Brown does use all 1500s[including one set we sold him,, the dented set],, but,, he also powers his J3s with 100 horse motors.. I'll probably be at KGVQ in the near future for some GPS repair[Jeff Boshart's] and if I remember I'll try and see about those floats..

Latest posts