• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

W/B with an O-320

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of research recently and am stumped on where to go next. My J3 is a clipped wing with an 0-320 setup for aero. It's been flown this way since the early 80's until a hard landing at about 2016. I'm rebuilding the plane, but only have a simple W/B measured from the mechanic.

I've seen a lot of sheets and information about which Datum to use, still a little confused on that one, but am worried about the extra weigh on the nose of the aircraft from the o-320 and metal prop to help make this plane a better flyer. From what I can recall seeing, you want a bit more forward CG when doing a lot of aero. I'm not planning on flying the plane aggressively in zero g and am still weighing removing the inverted oil and fuel system from the plane to save on some weight.

I'm happy to discuss this more deeply, but am looking to the experts on where to get rolling with all this. At this point I'm just going to get some scales and start weighing and measuring to create a new sheet for the plane. From what I can tell, the W/B sheets I've been finding take the original engine into consideration in some way. Upgrades have the STC to go off of. My plane is in the experimental category so I really am starting from scratch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Back