• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Upper Door Hinge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm flying along last week, and the upper door comes unlatched and I reach up to re-latch it, when it completely separates from the aircraft. Amazingly, the door separated cleanly neither damaging the plane on the way off, or sustaining any damage as it landed 300' below in a plowed field. I landed in an adjacent field, and retrieved the door.

Now the repair. The hinges on the frame and the door were mangled. They have since been ground off to make way for a replacement hinge. I was unable to find the original type hinge, so a replacement stainless steel hinge was ordered from Univiar. It is a slightly different design, but looks like it will work.

I will be able to weld the hinge back on the same location on the door, but will bolt the mating hinge to the frame in lieu of welding so as not to damage any of the surrounding fabric. (And to make it as unobtrusive as possible) I'm fairly committed, since the old fittings are ground off, but are there any suggestions before I get started on this method. The repair will be sturdy, but not nearly as asthetic as the original installation.

Mike-
J-3C NC9914H
Olympia, WA

Latest posts

Back