• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Update and Airframe Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDeltaFox

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I haven't had a chance till now to post an update on my Cub restoration. Currently i've got the engine off an in pieces in the shed. That was a long 1 man process seeing as i don't have an engine lift and had to rig something up off the rafters. Am i the only one without any lifting hook on their case? The engine only had 550 hours (in the books) since last overhaul but last time the whole thing flew was 15 years ago and the previous owner told me he used to fire it up once a year to cycle the oil. That was a little sad to hear and after splitting the case and looking at the bearings, the wear reflected it. So i've just recieved all my new bearings for the engine and got a steal of a deal on an entire overhaul gasket set. I'm excited to get her back together even though the airframe won't be ready for quite some time. I did laugh when i bought the silk thread to put between the case halves. I couldn't help but think what i'm going to do with the extra 100+ yards of silk thread left over. If anyone needs some i'd be happy to mail them a few yards.
Airframe... I've got quite a bit of the old girl disassembled and catalogued for ease of reassembly. There's so much work to do but at the same time its a blast working on it. Now that i'm down to the tubing and almost ready to start on airframe repairs, i've got a few questions for people.
First.. Cub service manual, can anyone point me in the right direction on who to buy one from. As well as plans for the tubing along the back half of the fuselage. I'd like to get as much ACCURATE info on bird as possible before starting. I know theres a bunch of websites that offer manuals and blueprints/plans but i think i'm lucky to have a large group of knowledgeable people on this website to point me in the right direction so i don't waste my time. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Darcy

Latest posts

Back