• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Update and a couple of questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhoskins

Reaction score
Well hello all - and very sorry for the long leave of absence from the site - an awful lot of things going on in world of Tony and the poor cub has suffered as a result. Seems I get good long spurts of work on it and then nothing for months - anyway, here we go:

Fuselage - have managed to find or make all the of the rear seat fittings and cockpit parts, all have been overhauled and trial fitted prior to interior covering to make sure I have everything just right. Work has started on the wooden fuselage stringers and i just have the side ones left to manufacture. New liner tubes have been fitted for the tail and new bracing wire kit is on order. The tail essentialy is finished with the exception of a few items - a few missing pieces and the need for fabric!!!

Wings - work has therefore started on the wings for the cub - I have about 3 wings worth of ribs, and although some are damaged, I've managed to make a whole new rib from decent parts from the not so great ones! I was going to spend out on the Dakota cub set but instead, we're spending the money on new spars and spar/strut attachment fittings. Essentially the wings were complete but dissassembled when I got the project, but now I have somewhere better to stroe the project, I can easily store the wings safely.

Engine is currently inhibited and we have a brand new Sensenich 72CK40 prop for her - I will not look to overhaul this until the airframe is in the paint shop.

So my current wants list stands at:

1x R/H Rudder Peddal
1x R/H Scott Master Cylinder
1x Throttle cable
Period wartime Compass card holder
2x 8.00x 4 Inner tubes (will probably get new from Desser Tyres)
Straight backed Rudder for J3/L4
Two ailerons - mine were completely rotted out when I opened them up
1 x Elevator
As many of the old built up D ribs that I can find.

If anyone has any leads on these parts I'd be delighted to hear from you

In the meanwhile - my excuse for the lack of (or at least spurious) cub work is the company. Have a look at our website for how we're progressing (and theres cub stuff there too), but its going well and we're adding some excellent aircraft to the fleet. Our new hangar thats being built will be housing 12 rare and exciting types, nothing quite like it in the south of the UK.

www.planeheritage.com

So, hopefully will be back on here a fair amount as I get a bit more time on the cub, so wexpect some questions from me on wings, starting with....

Drag struts!! Seems there are a few drag struts that dont have the fluted ends - one near the fuselage and two out where the strut fittings attach. Can anyone explain to me how these are fitted, I've seen an IPC with bolts mounted in the ends, likewise, one with what appears to be a rob passing all the way through the middle. Any wing gurus out there who could explain the assembly of these to me!!! Can post pictures in next couple of days if it helps!!

Thanks in anticipation

Rgds

Tony (in the rainy UK)

Latest posts

Back