• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Trans Australia in a J3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VH-BOX

Reaction score
Hi all, I have just completed a 2,200 mile E to W flight across Australia with my wife in our 'new' 1946 J3 VH-BOX (with only the standard 12Gal tank.) It took 2 weeks and 30.6 flying hours. We hit both excellent and awful weather and flew across some of the most desolate country in the world. 'BOX' never missed a beat, she averaged 75mph TAS, burned 4.3 Gal (US)/Hour. The longest single leg was 2.4 hours when we encountered an un-forecast increasing headwind, and landed with only about 8mins fuel left, an experience I do not intend to repeat. Our top groundspeed was 105mph and our lowest 38mph (when we were actually overtaken by a bunch of kangaroos). Our altitude varied between 6500' and 300' with most of the flight between 1500'-2000 AGL. I intend to put a wbsite together soon with a bunch of pictures and info. Right across Australia the J3 caused huge interest. At one remote town the entire poulation of 8 people came out to welcome us, BOX was given a bed for the night in a barn with 2 horses, and we were fed and watered by the local Maul flying police sargeant, whose solo juristiction is half the size of Texas!

Latest posts

Back