• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Throttle speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
Where was that thread that sort of drifted into how fast one goes from idle to full power?

I took the time the other day to measure, over two trials, my takeoff rolls. I noted on that thread that it took 80 feet to reach full power with a five second push (and 190' to get airborne).

My second trial was full power with brakes locked. 190 feet to lift off - but I forgot to count "one potato, etc".

So the next day I did a brakes locked full power takeoff - admittedly different conditions, although not much different. Counted to five, while rolling with full power - you guessed it - 80 feet.

I did mention that I did a bunch of trials raising the tail, rolling at 3-point attitude, yanking flaps at liftoff speed, etc - ? My personal best results were obtained by relaxing the back pressure until I felt the tail wheel lift, then simply putting enough back pressure in to get the tailwheel firmly back on the deck, which resulted in immediate liftoff. Your mileage may vary.

I have been doing this for a very long time - for the last two decades I have been averaging four takeoffs per day in my J-3, with an additional three in various other airplanes including all manner of Super Cubs.

Latest posts

Back