• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

The search continues, looking for a C85 or C90

B

backcast

I'm on the hunt as well for a C85 that I can convert w/O200 crank or a C90. My mechanic is ready to do a field overhaul so run outs are fine. If I don't find one soon I'll have to go to the O200 option which I'm trying to avoid. Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Tedd

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Try these from Trade-A-Plane

CONT. C-85-12 TT case 1675, began overhaul, crank case assembled, .010 yellow tagged crank, other parts, new or in service limits. Price $3600. FL/(772) 465-4089.

CONTINENTAL C85-12F, 0 time since Mattituck OH, complete w/starter, generator, carb., new mags and new steel cylinders, asking $9500. Call Wally, NJ/(973) 635-6687, customer pick up.

B

backcast

Been watching Barnstormers and TAP like a hawk for a couple weeks now. Some have come and gone before I even got to the phone.

Chuck, going to try the guy in Floriday tomorrow. I passed on the new OH since it's a C85 of which I would want to tear down and put an O200 crank in. Doubt he would sell w/o the acc. but I guess I could ask (trying to stay light as possible.)

chuck2shaw

Reaction score
Call him NOW, its only 9:55 PM, that's my suggestion. Seriously. Family will understand.

Chuck

B

backcast

The thought crossed my mind, but if he was a real fanatic that eats, sleeps, and lives this stuff he would be on this site way too late on a Sunday night before having to get up at the crack of dawn to go to work. Then again, having an addiction to feed seems to vindicate any lost time to the latest tv sitcoms (what's tv), breaking news, family drama, or sleep!

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tedd, what's your objection to the O-200? As an aside, I have a runout C85-12F that I'm putting an O-200 crank in. I like the 85/200 strokers. But, I prefer the O-200.
JimC

B

backcast

Jim,
I do prefer the O200, they are readily available and since they may be back in production the parts should remain plentiful. I just don't want to have to add an additional tank (Univair's STC) in order to hang the O200. Don't mind buying the lord mounts/bushings and specific prop for the STC but cutting open a wing starts to add up, know what I mean? The C85 with the O200 seems like the easiest transition, especially if its a -8. Did you have any issues locating a O200 crank for your stroker?

Tedd

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tedd, you don't have to add an additional tank to mount an O-200., and you don't have to touch the wings. Just mount the O-200 by 337 instead of STC, using a previously approved 337 as supporting documentation. That's how I did it, using the stock 12 gallon nose tank only. The non-electric O-200 is only 1.6 pounds heavier than the non-electric C85-12F, and the extra performance is well worth the slight weight penalty. Going the 337 route will require that you run a McCauley 7142 prop, but that is pretty close to the perfect cruise/climb prop for the O-200 powered j3 anyway. Average fuel burn is not increased over the C85 if you don't spend all your time doing maximum performance takeoffs and climbouts.

I've not attempted to locate an O-200 crank for the stroker yet. Since I'm flying an O-200, I'm not in a hurry (the stroker is nice, but does not put out the power of the O-200 since it can't turn anywhere near the O-200 rpms).
JimC

B

backcast

Jim,
Do you have a copy of that 337? Which FSDO approved it?
Tedd