• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

The Piper J5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
Well, darn. I know next to nothing about these things, but there is some transfer. I just walked up to one and was able to identify about four serious paperwork problems, just using my J3 background.

But I would be happy with a bit more knowledge. Here is what I know, so far:

The FAA does not list ADs for the J5, and neither, apparently, does at least one subscription service. What you do is look for the Piper L4F. Who knew? The Type Certificate Data Sheets (A-725) call it an L4F.

Even that doesn't really do it, since many of the Piper ADs only show up for the J3, but then go on to list every rag wing model ever built, including the J5.

Some IAs know where to look, and others do not. The aircraft awaits my test flight, after an FAA repair station looked at it, and an independent IA signed it off. Today I verified four ADs, not found by either the repair station or the IA, and signed them off. Two 337s still have to be signed and submitted.

And that field approval I mentioned in another thread will need to be done - although I think I can do the test flight without that, since a previous IA (in 1996) signed wheels and brakes off with a 337.

And I hear that the angle of incidence is the same as a J3, which may mean I am semi-competent to do the test flight.

But I cannot instruct the owner - I do not have enough J5 time to satisfy the owner's insurer. I bet, with one hour in MM, I have more J5 time than any other kid on the block. And I shall double that this week.

Any J5 wisdom out there?

Latest posts

Back