• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Surging A-75-8 engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickcronin

Junior Partner
Reaction score
Soliciting opinions!

I bought a Cub in California and have been in the process of flying it back to my home in North Carolina.

The trip has been full of problems but the current one has me stumped.

Long story short, I put a new A-75-8 engine on her in Deming, NM. I flew it from there to Dallas, TX. Out of available days, I hired the flying out from there.

An hour east of Dallas the new engine (15 hours total time) began to surge from 1,800 to 2,300* rpm. My pilot landed and they found a fuel line slightly loose.

This, unfortunately, did not correct the problem.

I was going to head out there this week and try the following:

Disconnect the fuel line and drain the main tank.
Drain the aux wing tank.
Measure the flow rate of the draining (18 gals/hr required).
Blow the fuel line out.
Visually inspect the fuel tanks.
Check the fuel cap for proper venting.
Check any and all screens.
Replace the Stromberg carb. with a new one.

Am I missing anything here? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

*Due to the engine type change, I have not received the A-75 propeller yet. I'm still turning the 65 hp prop and thus am only developing 2,300 rpm.

Other notes - OAT was probably over 100 degrees during the surge, however I flew it over the Guadelope Pass earlier with a density altitude over 10,000'. The engine performed flawlessly from Deming, NM to El Paso, Pecos, Odessa, Breckenridge, and Dallas, TX.

Latest posts

Back