• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Student Light Sport Pilot Certificate

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crew Chief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had an experience with a DPE and the FAA though not serious but still kind of makes you scratch your head. :confused:

According to the FAA a Student Sport Pilot Certificate is needed before soloing and can be obtained either through the FAA or a DPE by only showing a drivers license or a 3rd Class Medical. Any DPE or AME can issue one. The DPE I contacted was not sure if he was authorized to do that but would call me back after he contacted the FAA. He did call me back and said he could do it for $50. Ok, I get that and it is a shorter drive to where the DPE lives than 125 miles to the FSDO.

As it turned out, I had to call the FSDO anyway to clarify getting a replacement AW Cert. because mine was issued in 1956 on my L-4 and my IA encouraged me to get an updated one. No problem. They wanted me to make an appointment so I did and then I asked if I could also get my Student Sport Pilot Cert. since I was already there. The lady said I needed a separate appointment but I could do it back to back which was nice. I asked what I needed to bring and she transferred me to the person that takes care of pilot licensing. I told him what I needed and what was I to bring with me. He said I needed a 3rd. class medical. I said, I wanted a student sport pilot cert. and a medical is not required. He says "Oh, that is right." Just bring two forms of ID.

Point is, that the Sport Pilot Program has been around for 10 years and these people still do not know much about it. They don't read their own information. If you look at the Sport Pilot information on the FAA website, it mentions several times that a 3rd class medical can be used to get a Student Sport Pilot Cert. If you take a chance with an AME and you don't pass the medical, you are screwed. :eek: Nuff said.

I will let you all know how it goes next Friday after my visit with the FAA.

Latest posts

Back