• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Some miscelaneous guidance needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hames57

Reaction score
A. What are the little flimsy straps that are underneath the front edge of the front seat in my J3. Where the heck do they go. My old seat had them just tied off up against the bottom and my new seat has them as well.

B. I got some great advice on the board to buy my windshield retention strips from Wag-Aero after I found that my new Univair strips, while beautiful in craftsmanship, could not be made to fit the cowl and the windshield at the same time without some ugly bending and wrinkles. So, I ordered the Wags, and sure enough, they fit beautifully. However, there are lots of tool marks on the Wags that will need treatment to look nice painted. Does one wet sand these out, or apply multiple coats of paint with sanding until they are filled? I suspect one does a bit of both?? I've ordered what is supposed to be a nice book on aircraft metal working that should probably help me as well.

C. I've been through 4 patterns, two with cardboard, and two with aluminum and have come up with the right fit for my new Univair fuselage for the right and left aliminum covers that sit high in the cabin in front of the spar, and that are fabric covered. If anyone else needs a pattern to get you close when you do this part of the restoration, I could copy off a cardboard pattern for you. Of course, the probability of any two fuselages being built exactly the same is probably an unreasonable assumption, but a starting cardboard pattern might save you some time. Or does one already exist out there, and I've wasted my time?

D. I'm still looking for a good 85 or 90 continental, or even a run out one. Or I need some convincing to go with the 0-200. I do not intend to go with a starter or generator regardless of the engine. I've seen a lot on what can and cannot drop into the existing a65 engine mount, and now I'm confused. If someone could summarize the legal engine options, and the modifications and paper work associated with each, and put it on a permanent engine section on the board, that would be great, and would minimize the confusion factor as we amatures look at the FAA TC's etc. Facts are that I need a bigger engine for my operations which begin at 5000 feet AGL not considering density altitude. I have a super millenium a65 with 37 hours, properly pickled that needs to sell as well. Don's will sell me a nice engine for 16 to 20 grand, but yikes!!

thanks all for your thoughts. If this is too repetative a question for the board, please feel free to e-mail me direct.

Latest posts

Back