• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

shoulder harnesses

peter swanton

Reaction score
anyone know of inertia reels being installed in a j3? if not a fixed harnesses would be o.k. where to get?

Original 1

Reaction score
I believe there are two vendors for the J-3 harness (non-inertial), Wag and Kosola. Not sure if Univair sells one. No STC required for the installation. You might try Cub Crafters and inquire about the inertial harness they install. GUP

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My brother has the Kosola reels in his Cub. Personally, I don't like them. They are hard to adjust and uncomfortable.

I also don't like a single strap diagonally across my chest. I prefer the double shoulder strap.....but that is just personal preference. Of course, with a fixed strap, trim and carb heat are a bit more challenging.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the Kosola setup in Jim's brother's Cub either. Uncomfortable and restrictive. The rear shoulder strap is so awkward that I don't wear it, thinking that it is more dangerous than no strap.

peter swanton

Reaction score
thanks guys. i'll check out these options. anyone else out there with ideas? thanks.

NickTx

Reaction score
Just installed the wag aero kind. So far loving it.

bobbuilder1313

Reaction score
I think the main difference is that a fixed harness is very restrictive and makes it very difficult to reach forward to get to the carb heat. A inertia reel harness lets you get at it easily. However, a friend likes a fixed one better because he can tighten it down hard when he does some maneuvers, the inertia reel won't let him do that; it only grabs when it wants to.

Bob Hunt

Latest posts