• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Shielded plug wires

pj3cub1

Reaction score
I wanted to keep my Cub original with no big holes in the eybrows but have had it with the radio static. Does anyone have everything needed to change over to shielded harness and plugs? Am using Bendix mags.

deedus

Reaction score
The shielded wires definately makes a difference. We put them in our cub and now we can hear without static. My IA did not cut a hole in my eyebrows but he took a sandbag and hammer and dimpled the eyebrow to accommodate the taller plug. Only had to do it on the back plug. After we installed the shielded wires, we had no static but we had a bad sqeal when we keyed up to transmit so we also installed a antenna that does not require grounding and that took out the sqeal. We put it behind the seat inside the fuselage out of site. It was the Advanced Aircraft Electronics High Gain antenna (Aircraft Spruce #11-04262). I have an extra I can sell for 1/2price if your interested. (new in box).

pj3cub1

Reaction score
Thanks Deedus. I'll probably try the "dimpling", but have not seen that before. It sure sounds better than that ugly mess of plug and plug wire sticking up. Have had many comments on the 'clean' brows, but am at my limit having to dethrottle to understand what's being said. If my external antenna causes a noise, I'll jump at your offer.

Latest posts