• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

SF4RN-8 miss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff J

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a freshly overhauled mag a while back to replace a mag that has a bad bearing. Once I got the "new" mag installed I did the standard run up and a short test hop. Everything seemed fine but I took a little longer flight a few days later and the other mag dropped the coil and the new mag started missing. I made it home and replaced the bad coil and did the annual inspection. Plugs looked good and were cleaned, gapped and rotated. Run up went well but 20 minutes into the test flight the "new" mag started missing again. I flew it again a couple of days later just to see if it would duplicate and 20 minutes into the flight the "new" mag started missing. I landed and taxied back on the bad mag hoping to cool the bad cylinder enough to determine where I had a bad plug or lead. I couldn't located a cold cylinder so I changed the coil. The test flight went exactly the same as the previous flights. Now I am looking at replacing the points and condenser.

I didn't like the mag when I got it. It had been clamped in a vise hard enough to squeeze the ears to where they would not slide over the studs on the case and the raised area was scarred up so bad from a shade tree mechanic using a pry bar to remove the gear that, once past the studs, the mag wouldn't slide into the hole. I should have rejected it and sent it back but I didn't. Whatever the problem is it seems to be temperature related. What else should I be checking or could be wrong?

Latest posts

Back