• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Seaplane ramp for J3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotiamen

Reaction score
Some month’s back I inquired thru seaplane pilots assoc and this site about ideas and suggestions for float ramps for my J3, which is presently in the process of being rebuilt. Thanks to the very helpful response of several J3 Cub and floatplane owners , I was able to design and build what I think will work very well in my lake.

Last week a friend’s J3-65 with 1320's landed and tested the ramp.

For the benefit of others, here are details of how it was constructed.
The pics are on my gallery on this site "scotiamen" or the url below:

http://www.j3-cub.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=62&g2_itemId=5293

Construction info:

Construction was of hatmatack (local durable softwood) 6”x6” posts and 6” wide boards with approved pressure treated decking. The side wharfs were 16 feet long 4 feet wide with a rear elevated deck, one step up, max width 5 feet. The ramp is 12 ' wide and 21 feet long. The ramp is planked with 1 1/2" by 6" wide hatmatack; 12 foot long boards, about a 1" open spacing, nailed to wood stringers that were bolted to an aluminium frame. One post was placed at the head to accommodate a winch to assist skidding the plane up. I intend to also place plastic runners or what is commonly in Canada called "puck board" to allow for easier skidding of the float skegs. The aluminium frame was welded to create a bar hinge at the top that fits into two steel large channels, two holes drilled to accommodate the bar (rod) and make a hinge. This hinge allows the ramp to angle up and down, to be adjusted or even lifted during the winter. I have had some success using a wire run under the ramp thru steel blocks and back to my truck to lift the ramp. Once set, I have chains on each side as "keepers" to maintain the angle. I intend to improve on this system, possibly use a power winch.

As shown in the pictures, it is located in a secluded cove next to our property line close to our neighbours. The location is very protected, although entry and docking I expect may pose a challenge at times, as there is only a small (17') wide opening in the stone breakwater to enter the cove. For back up and during difficult crosswinds, just outside the cove there is a beach for an alternative landing area.

I also plan to figure out some type of canopy to protect the plane from the tree sap, sun weather etc. I would prefer a temporary type hangar, any suggestions welcome.

I hope this info may be of help to anyone considering a ramp.

Once again thank you to all those who provided assistance to me.

David Arenburg
Nova Scotia

Note: similar post and link posted on Seaplane pilots assoc.

Latest posts

Back