• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Scott 3-24

39-J4

Reaction score
My J4 project came with a nice Scott tailwheel(data plate missing) that I can't use because the steering arms need to be pulled forward to lock the wheel.
I would like to trade for a Lang tailwheel.
Anyone interested?
Bill Barry

Jeff Fontenot

Reaction score
Bill,
I have a Lang with new bearings and fork. I have never been able to get it to break away at the right points on my PA11. I might be willing to trade for a Scott. I'll try to take pictures of the Lang tomorrow.

Jeff Fontenot

cubdriver2

Reaction score
My J4 project came with a nice Scott tailwheel(data plate missing) that I can't use because the steering arms need to be pulled forward to lock the wheel.
I would like to trade for a Lang tailwheel.
Anyone interested?
Bill Barry
Bill where is your tail spring, J4s have more then one position, some are just like a J3 with the spring sticking out under the rudder and some are like mine with the tailwheel about a foot and a half forward of the tailpost and the ears on the TW are pulled back toward the rudder bar.

Glenn

39-J4

Reaction score
Glenn
My J4 was built with a bungee tailwheel, and then changed to a spring type like yours, with the wheel ahead of the tailpost.
It always had a non steerable tailwheel.
The previous owner was going to use the Scott 3-24 but I have found that it will not work.
Bill

bobbuilder1313

Reaction score
Bill,

Dan Fogel has the same issue with his J4. Said he was going to cut new slots in the main shaft of the tailwheel and reverse the arms so it will engage correctly. Maybe give him a call. I believe he said his was a non steerable tailwheel to.

bob Hunt

39-J4

Reaction score
Bob
I pointed out the problem to Dan when I was at his place. I thought about turning the arm assy. around and cutting new slots in the shaft. The arm assy. hits the spring bracket when turned around so some of the bracket would need to be ground off. The arms could be spaced up but there are not many threads showing.
It could work but I am not sure I want an experimental tailwheel.
At some point I may want to sell this plane, or my IA buddy will no longer be...

Dan's original was steerable but no swivel, mine was not steerable.

Glenn
Thank you for pointing out the kit.

Does anyone have a picture of the kit for the J4? Kit #3075.
I don't suppose the parts are still available?
It should not be hard to make an arm with a bearing in the center, mounted to the spring bolts.

Bill

cubdriver2

Reaction score
My 4 has a Maule soft whatever on it and the ears pull rearward to the rudder bar. I don't care for Maules but it seems to work OK, I have stayed out of the ditches so far.

Glenn

Latest posts