• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Salvage J3 at the AIG website N3260N

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score

http://www.aigaviation.com/aviationsalvage/salvagedetail.aspx?faano=N3260N

Aircraft Details
Accident No: 00000 Claim No: 980-003091
FAA Number: N3260N Airframe TT: 3629
Aircraft: 1946 Piper J3C-65 Serial No.: 22452
Propeller 1 Information
Make: McCauley Model: CM1B90CM
TotalTime: 955 SPOH: 955
Propeller 2 Information
Make: Model:
TotalTime: SPOH:
Engine 1 Information
Name: Continental C85-8F Serial #: 29355-7-8
Total Time: 2205 SMOH: 955
Engine 2 Information
Name: Serial #:
Total Time: SMOH:
Bid Closing Date
Closing Date: 11/27/2009
Aircraft Location
Location: Clyde Ice Field, Eagle Aviation Contact at Location: Ray or Laura Jilek
Phone Number: 605-642-4112 Fax Number:
Street: 300 Aviation Place City: Spearfish
State/Region: SOUTH DAKOTA Zip: 57783
Inquiries Adjustor Contact
Contact 1: Greg Stock Phone Number: 312-831-8057
Email Address: [email protected]
Inquiries Adjustor Contact 2
Contact 2: Phone Number:
Email Address:
Comments
Engines Comments: Last overhauled by A&P in 1989.
Equipment Comments: No electrical system or avionics.
Description of Accident: Pilot lost control of aircraft on landing and ground looped.
Description of Damage: Damage to prop, engine cowling, engine accessories, fuselage, landing gear, right wingtip, tail wheel, right elevator, right horizontal stabilizer.
LogBooks Comment: All available logbooks are with adjuster. Airframe logbooks missing from 1959 to 1989. No engine logbooks available prior to 1989.

Remarks: Aircraft inspection recommended. Inquiries abut the condition of the salvage should be directed to the Adjuster Contact noted above.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in h*ll do you groundloop a J3 ?

The skull cap seems to have survived in good condition.
JimC

deedus

Reaction score
Did ya'll notice the ratchet strap holding the gear up. New field repair ;D

cubrath

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Spearfish and went and looked at the airplane the other day. Not a lot of parts left that are not bent! Fuselage is junk, it is bent from the firewall to the tailwheel. The cowl and boot cowl are shot, engine was at full power when it hit the ground. Carb was ripped off, oil tank smashed, exhaust smashed and motor mounts bent.

It was not a ground loop, it was more like an uncontrolled stall from 15 feet after a botched go around.

On the AIG web site it says only the right wing is damaged but both wings got it. The right wing has obvious damage but the left wing is also bent. I think it got bent after the left gear broke and it hit the ground. It has wood spars wings.

I was interested in it for the engine but it was put in under full power and I have never seen a prop bent like that before. Looks just like an S. I would be amazed if the crank was not bent. If anybody wants more info on it I will do my best to tell you what I saw.

Original 1

Reaction score
How in h*ll do you groundloop a J3 ?

How do you land a retractable geared aircraft with the gear up ? How do you land on the unassigned runway? How do you fly past your intended airport by 100+ miles. Questions for the ages. GUP

T

tempdoug

And how do the pilot and copilot fall asleep flying a 747? You know what, its all things we all do and all will do. Its just the way it is.

Latest posts