• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Right Brake Fluid Leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daluds

Reaction score
Hello,

How do I access the reservoir for the right brake? Is it under the front seat?

I found a leak after flying today, and the right brake is not working. It feels like its coming from a bolt on top of the right brake under the front seat. I assume this is the reservoir for the right brake? I didn't have a chance to figure out how to take the front seat underlining out to see under the seat. The Cub was just annualled so assuming it wasn't tightened enough? I can hear and feel fluid coming out when I press on the right brake too. The left one works fine. I found the below reply in a previous post.

Thanks,

Dave

===========
5/8" box end, squirt can of red fluid, Copper flat washer if needed, that's it. BUT, getting the air out and getting the brake pads adjusted out close to the drum surfaces is another (many) discussion thread. I think many of us have our own techniques.

Brake Service:

The brake master cylinder is just that, and has no reservoir as on newer aircraft.
It only holds the fluid that you see, and when the plug is installed, the reservoir it has is under pressure, when the brakes are applied.
The master cylinder can be serviced by the plug in the top with 5606 Hyd. Fluid.
If there is air in the system, or the brake linings are worn, Then you will need to jack up the wheel to be serviced. Then attach a line from the pump can to the bleeder screw.
You may need to drain fluid out of this bleeder first, then with the plug out of the master cylinder, have someone watch the level at the master cylinder, and pump fluid through the bleeder until the master cylinder is full.
Now reinstall the plug, Continue to pump fluid into the bleeder until the wheel will not turn. Now drain out a small amount of fluid from the bleeder, until you can turn the wheel
With a little drag on the brake linings, and close off the bleeder screw.
If the brake pedal feels good now, then you are through, if not, add more fluid, or drain out more, until you get the pedal where you want it.
Now service the other side the same way, until you have the brake pedals matched up.
After you have done the work above, you will see that it is not as bad as it sounds.
Good Luck, and Happy Flying.
================

Latest posts

Back