• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Replacing Struts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cubbers,

As has been the case with just about every "small" job I've started on this plane, I wanted to change my bungees during this annual until I pulled the struts off and found serious corrosion, and "hard landing" damage to one of the struts.

So now as if on cue, I'll be sending my quarterly donation to Univair for new struts. Obviously a couple of questions have come up;

1. I know I have to buy 2 x short struts and 2 x long struts, but the Univair catalog lists an additional "Shock Strut Assembly" Is that both long and short struts together?

2. My cabane V looks to be in good shape, should I expect any problems fitting the new struts to the "V"? I searched the site and found a couple references to different diameter es of old vs new tubes.

3. My original manual shows "plugs" at the gear leg gussets which I haven't seen, as the leather or rubber bumpers in the struts which I also haven't located. Where do I get those?

4. What are the struts lubricated with?

5. I've also got PA-11/PA-18 bungee covers, is there supposed to be a grommet of some sort at the end opening to snug up against the tube? I have DA safety cables also)

Now I'll have to look at my shiny new struts and bungees attached to my peeling, rusty gear legs...but that's another story.

Thanks,

Mike-

Latest posts

Back