• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Repainting A7 Mag Switch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanafos

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've cleaned up my mag switches and have an auto painter buddy who's offered to paint these for me for a few bucks. Gloss(?) black for the plate, but I'm trying to find a color code or color name for the knob. I've seen references from Piper that the knobs were originally red oxide primer with a clear on top of it in early Cubs. The one I took out of my Cub would have fallen in to that category and color sure looks about right. But I also see quite a few with a more red tone to them. Anyone care to share what color they used? Also curious if folks are just shaker can spraying these with Krylon or Rustoleum or are they going the route of automotive / aircraft paint. If shaker can will do just as nice a job I may give it a go myself. Picked up a white lacquer stick to attempt to fill in the letters. Fingers crossed these turn out well. I considered drilling out the rivets and taking them apart completely just long enough to talk myself out of that. They function just fine and I don't need to change that. Appreciate any advice as I'd prefer to do it once. The one on the left below was about 3 coats of bright red with a base coat of white lacquer (I think) and took forever to clean up.
DSCN6209.JPG
DSCN6214.JPG

Latest posts

Back