• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Re: Dash 8 starter

armstrong1

Reaction score
Have you ever seen or heard of an electric starter kit for a J-3 Piper Cub? It is becoming difficult for my husband to "hand prop" his prized J-3! He won't admit to getting too old (69) to do it!! I woulde appreciate any information you may have!

cubrath

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Armstrong1,

I have seen starters out there for a -8 engines but not sure if any are certified.

Your best bet is to start a new topic on this subject. If it can be done, guys here will know how!

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure he is too old?
I'm 69, and even with a torn rotator cuff in both shoulders, it hasn't been difficult to prop the J3.

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hamp starter is an STC'd possibility, but the aircraft has to be flown to Hamp Air Services in Illinois (I think), and the cowl has to be modified. Cost is about $1850 plus installation.

Installation of a -12 engiine is another possibility.

A McDowell Safety Starter (patent # 2266098) is a third possibility. They were mostly installed on Aeronca Chiefs and a few Champs. They work well, and are sometimes available on the used market because most were removed due to their being a maintenance nightmare. This starter also requires cowl modification. Here's a photo of one on a Chief. Cost is $1000-$2000 plus installation.

505-1.jpg

505-1.jpg

huston marlowe

Reaction score
Does his engine have two fresh Slick mags with impulse couplers ? I'm 71 and only 145 lbs and have no trouble starting the C-85. Maybe he has old stock mags , leads and plugs ?

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Huston (as I usually do).
He needs two 4301 Slick mags.

Renkou1

Reaction score
Maybe the present mags just need points / e-gap set. Cheapest way to go. The Eisemans on the 65 I just removed for the C90 were recently fitted with new points. One or two easy pulls from the back side started engine. Too many pulls is like too many pitches...hard on older players.

doug

Reaction score
I agree with Renkou12. It takes me about 3 pulls pulling as slow as I possibly can with the throttle completely closed to start this Cub. I discovered that after new points and plugs were put in my Bendix S4 20 mags. 747 gave me that tip.