• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Quick Release Tail Tie Down and $15 Parking Brake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
As promised in the Suitable Chocks Thread, here are some pics of my quick release tail tie down. Also found a cheap solution for a parking brake below.

Quick Release
Materials:
20-25' of 5mm climbing cord (approx 1250lb strength)
1- West Marine Snap Shackle 2200lb (Part #121046)
20' Paracord/550 cord
1 Thimble (optional)

Tie 5mm cord to fixed bail and a loop in the other end. Use a low profile knot to aid in slipping through chain, tie down loops, etc. A high strength, spliceable rope would be the ultimate but the thin stuff I could find at West Marine was over 3x as much as the climbing cord, so just tied a knot.

Tie the paracord to the release ring.

That size shackle will snap around the tail handle with the rope in the bail. The advanage of this is the knot in the rope will not wedge itself in the handle as you pull it through. Extra cord length can be simply knotted up near the fixed shackle so it doesn't need pulled through whatever you are using as a tie down. I tried routing it through the top of the handle and bottom and it was always seem to find a catch point, snapping it around the handle eliminates this because when you release it just falls down and only gets pulled through what ever you have run the cord through. I don't think you need the thimble in the loop in this configuration, I did when there was tension because it would catch on the bulge of the bail. Duct tape on the handle protects your fabric from abrasion where the bail snaps open and keeps the shackle from sliding backwards on the handle if the plane creeps forward.

I have run this around posts, through a tie down loop, through a tie down chain, and it works well once I figured how to keep it from jamming in the handle or around the tailwheel.

Tie down snug, not too much slack, string the release cord to the cockpit, start, board, pull the release and pull the cord into the cockpit.

Parking Brake
I haven't tested this while actually starting the engine, as I use the quick release at my usual parking spot, but it applies the brakes nicely and seems very secure without weighing too much.

Materials:
2- Irwin Quick Grip Clamps

Apply the clamp between the rear brake and the front seat frame. You can get the feet over the brake and around the frame so there is really no chance for them to slide off inadvertently. I solo from the front and can easily release them once seated. If you flipped it so the handle faced the rear, I'm pretty sure you could release them from the rear seat as well. I see this as ideal for when you are far away from a tie down.

IMG_3670.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

IMG_3680.jpg

Latest posts

Back