• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Prop Hub Flange needed

Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I have a C85-12F with a tapered crank shaft. The Prop Hub Cont. pt no #3745 has a Flange, Cont. Pt No #3991 that fits between the back of the prop and the front of the Hub flange. I am missing this flange and am having trouble locating one. If anyone has one laying around, I sure would like to purchase it.
Thanks, Jackson
(562) 5720830

Jackson

Reaction score
John,
You are right about the F. I really only need the crush plate, but will bid on the hub and crush plate if nothing comes up before the close on the Auction.
Thanks for the information.
Jackson

longwinglover

Reaction score
Jackson,

If you can wait a week or so, crush plates show up on e-bay or Barnstormers fairly often.

That entire hub set-up has 6+ days to go and will top $400 (I'd bet).

John Scott

Jackson

Reaction score
John,
I think the best solution is to wait and check those sites. If anyone should see a crush plate for the C85-12 for sale or bid please let me know. I am not exactly sure what the purpose of the crush plate is, I have seen two other engines without the plate.
Jackson

JimC

Supporting Member
Reaction score
>The Prop Hub Cont. pt no #3745 has a Flange, Cont. Pt No #3991 that fits between the back of the prop and the front of the Hub flange.<

I rarely run a wood prop and taper shaft, so don&#039;t have a good visual memory for this (and, am too lazy to make a special trip out to the airport and look), but doesn&#039;t the crush plate go in FRONT of the prop, and not between the prop and front of the hub flange? And, if you&#039;re running a metal prop, isn&#039;t the crush plate unncecessary?
JimC

Jackson

Reaction score
I have a metal prop, but recently inherited a very nice eligible wood prop that I would like to try. You are probably right on the position of the crush plate, I have never run a wood prop before. I am not sure how, but I believe the crush plate is to distribute the load on the Hub
Jackson

longwinglover

Reaction score
Jackson,

The crush plate goes on the front of the prop. It has several functions - mainly to evenly distribute the tension of the bolts across the face of the prop and to keep the bolts from eating up the wood.

I believe JimC is correct in that the crush plate is un-necessary for a metal prop - but do use correct washers under the bolt heads.

John Scott

Latest posts