• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Project J3-L on eBay

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score

longwinglover

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay much more than the $9000 that is the current price. Could be a good project but has a few issues:

The fact that it is a J3L means that the gross weight will never be more than 1170lbs. That extra 50lbs on a J3C is important in a Cub.

The O-145 Lycoming engine was known as the weakest of the 65hp engines put on a Cub. And the least reliable. Parts are harder to find.

It could be a neat project. If you had the money and just wanted to build up a clean, stock J3L (just because almost no one has one today) for the novelty.

I'd hate to fight today's FAA on approval to change the engine to a Continental, but with perserverence and the righ FAA person, I guess it could be done.

Could be a neat project for somebody.

John Scott

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
I would really like to find a Franklin 65hp Cub. I saw one at Reklaw and it really looked good. I have attached a picture below.
I do like the thought of a Radial on the Cub like the Lanape, but I know that the 3 cylinder engine shook the heck out of the airplane.

Will

NC 30906 #3.JPG

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
The J3L project on eBay sold for $13,101.00 :eek: