• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Priming Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rigggs

Reaction score
I am hoping someone can shed some light on a priming issue that I'm having!

I have a 1946 J3 C65-85, with a NA-S3 B Stromberg, (it looks like the B has been stamped after, maybe the statement of a Mod),

Going through the normal priming procedure, I can't get any fuel into the carb/cylinders,

Normal priming would be,

Rotate the prop, about 6 to 8 times, advance the throttle with 3 squirts of fuel, 1 more rotation of the prop (all with mags off), Throttle set to about 1/4,

Mags on, and on the 2nd or 3rd throw of the prop, she would fire up,

But now following the same procedure as above, I cant get any fuel to the engine!! hence, no starting.

I have noticed, where as before there was a resistance on the throttle " with the feel like it was actually moving fuel,
Now there is no resistance, hence no fuel/priming to the engine, I have checked all linkages to the carb and with a full tank of fuel, nothing seems amiss

On removing the plugs, (which were dry), and squirting some fuel into the cylinders, and following the starting procedure " she would start with No problem, and run fine,

Can someone shed some light please?

Latest posts

Back