• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

PA-18 Seat Base

behindpropellers

Reaction score
I have a PA-18 seat base I would like to sell. I am asking $450 shipped. I think Univair wants $700+.

Item is in excellent condition.

Tim

sandbar pilot

Reaction score
Is there an STC to put a PA18 front seat in a J3? The J3 front seat is so low and so far forward that I can't fly from the front. I actually like it more flying from the back seat, feels right in a Cub, but if you're going to do off-road stuff, it would be nice to have a little more visibility.

Jeff Fontenot

Reaction score
Atlee Dodge has one but it requires welding brackets to the lower cross members in the bottom of the fuselage. Better to do prior to covering the fuselage.

Jeff Fontenot

sandbar pilot

Reaction score
Atlee Dodge has one but it requires welding brackets to the lower cross members in the bottom of the fuselage. Better to do prior to covering the fuselage.

Jeff Fontenot
There happened to be a Super Cub in the hangar when I showed up Friday. They were working on the brake M/C's so the front seat was out. It looks to me like to foot print of the seat base of the PA18 is exactly like the J3. The difference is that there is a folded sheet metal mounting flange/channel welded to the bottom of the J3 seat tubes which is then bolted to the floor over the fuselage tubing (I think). The PA18 seat tubes don't have a mounting flange/channel, instead, they have a horizontal hole drilled through them which then bolts through a strap which has been welded around that same fuselage tube. It looked like if you welded the J3 mounting flange/channel to the bottoms of the PA18 seat tubes, you'd have the same foot print geometry. Fat chance getting it approved. But it actually would be a bolt in then.

cubdriver2

Reaction score
hi tim do you still have the seat base i think it will fit in a 11 john carson [email protected]
When we redid my 11 I stuck a 18 seat in the front, the 18 seat sits higher so we had to cut, shorten, and re angle the seat legs to match the footprint of the 11 seat and you have to take in to account that you will now have a thicker seat cushion so that when you get done the total height of the 18 seat with cushion has to be what the original seat was with the so called J3 cushion and then you still hit your head on the spar cover so now I want to build the front of the fuse into a pa18 with out the spars in the way so by the time I am done I will have a pa18/95 that is sport pilot legal, it never ends, the more you get the more you want, and I will still most likely fly it from the back seat most of the time.

Glenn

Latest posts