• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Original New Old Stock Piper L4 Nose Bowls top and bottom

NC1776

Reaction score
I need some help being fair on a price. Would anyone hazard to guess what a set of Piper New Old Stock nose bowls for a Piper L4 including the factory induction box be worth. They are almost perfect original olive drab. There were in paper and I took them out. Most likely one of the only sets of new original piper nose bowls left out there. Condition is almost perfect, maybe a small dimple or two from 50 years of moving around. I want to price them fairly but hate to give them away also. Need help asap.
Dave

Papa Bear

Reaction score
Hey Dave, I saw were Rob-(Eye Brow Guy) in MS, who makes different Cub Parts. Sold on E-Bay a set of his nose bows for $507.00 last month. Hope this help!! Thanks, Papa Bear

NC1776

Reaction score
Thats a lot cheaper than Univairs 820.00 for the pair with the air scoop. Least these will be known to fit as they were made by Piper in around 1945. I just wonder how many are still out there that are New old Stock.
Dave

longwinglover

Reaction score
Dave,

You've got a unique item, as you know. It is priceless to that particular person who is doing exacting restorations as you used to do. I don't know of anyone doing such a restoration at this time - but they may be out there.

IF the nose bowls were absolutely pristine, they would be worth the same as new Univair plus the "unique factor". You indicate they may have a few dings from 63 years of storage. I don't know what that would do to the value.

The "flat face" carb air box may be worth a good bit on its own to an L4 restorer as this part is not available from a PMA supplier.

How about a tax write off for a donation to a museum? You get a reasonable "value" and some original pieces get preserved.

John Scott

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Put them on eBay. If you don't really want to sell them, put an extremely high reserve. It will tell you what they are worth. Be careful though, someone might actually be willing to pay what you consider an insane price and you will have to let them go. Either way, it will help you assess what the market will bear.

JimR

NC1776

Reaction score
They are in mint condition and I just realized I had two sets not one. John told you I had no idea what I had down there. 20 years ago I bought all the old stock stuff I could find and this came from all of that stuff. Still have more so anyone interested let me know. they do not have the cutout for the beech Roby.
Dave

mnflyer

Reaction score
I had a completely custom, hand made cowling, with hand made metal nose bowls, made for my L-4. Looked just like original, and fit like a glove out of the box. There was a guy in St Louis that did it all for $1,500 ... shipping and all. When the shipping cost $40 less than he had estimated, he sent me a check for the difference. His name was Tim, and was working under "St Louis Aircraft Metal Arts" I believe.

Just in case someone wants to duplicate the nosebowls, or get duplicates.

Latest posts