• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Off Field Takeoff, follow-up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renkou1

Reaction score
Decided not to put this in the 'Take off" thread. Several folks have asked how I came to be parked in the Flora & Founa. We let me put it this way. As it says in the referrenced thread I have over 40,000 off field landings. How many of those would be legal in today's USA? The state north of me has a county called King. Want to go swimming there. $86 fine for not wearing a life-vest. Not just kids; YOU. Vote was 5 to 4. Four sane, 5 mothers for us all.
One highway patrolman used to give tickets to aircraft on the 10 mile section of two lane south of Pichaco, Az. Al & Don worked off that road for 40+ years. You could see 3 miles each direction from the loading area. So when Don went in to Eloy for his ticket trial... MaryAnn (the Judge) said to Don, " Good Moring, Your Honor." and He said the same thing back.
So after a few go rounds the highway patrolman who couldnt get used to southern Az agriculture was transferred to Flagstaff.
I used to land at the Toltec McDonalds and pick up coffee and breakfast for the crew waiting to load me out on some county road. Grumman 164B. The field next to McDs was actually the back dirt lot of the local Highway Patrol Headquarters. Don, the Mayor of Eloy, and the Highway Patrol .... frequently had coffee in the afternoons at the local truck stop.
After my first landing on Highway X, the resteraunt changed their parking lot sign from a car area and a truck area to an additional airplane area. Local inforcement climbed all over the ac OK'd the whole thing. TCDS says 'Land Plane' not 'Airport Plane."
Can you imagine Wilbur and Orville trying to get permission these days to do what they have already done. You are going to put your hands where?
Times have changed. Don't tell me for the better.

Latest posts

Back