• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

O-200 Prestolite starter replacement / removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarryB

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following on from previous thread, by cross wiring of 2 plug wires, kickback seems to have ruined the sprag clutch on Prestolite starter on the O-200 (they should have named it a PrestoHEAVY starter!)

Upon startup I heard a loud whine after about 5 seconds and shut engine down. Sounded like starter. Pulled starter and sprag clutch. Not sure of one should be able to turn clutch by hand but that thing is rock solid. Also, seems like outer snap ring has been partially eaten up. I found this on closer inspection as I saw tiny metal flakes that seemed fairly fresh inside accessory case (see photos).

So there are 3 issues.

1. What to do about metal shavings I found? I collected samples of them so can potentially test to make sure its from snap ring. How do I flush oil system properly to ensure nothing is left over. I am very worried about this.

2. Is it possible to run engine without starter (of course after closing accessory case gap where starter was.) I am wary of this as the needle bearing that sits between the crankcase halves might come undone and rain bearings inside accessory case if the shaft of the clutch is not keeping it there anymore. There is also a small oil port inside bearing that I am not sure how it will act of the shaft is removed - will it cause some sort of oil pressure drop?

3. If I decide on keeping a starter, it seems to make sense to move to a lightweight starter like a Skytec as the prestolite and its clutch is almost impossible to find (esp the clutch) and very expensive. The skytec also has a dowel that fits into needle bearing to keep it in place. Or are these clutches fixable?

Eaten up snap / retaining ring:
IMG_5878.jpg

IMG_5886.jpg

Metal flakes:
IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5873.jpg

Latest posts

Back