• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

Not a Cub, but might be a good deal...

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? That isn't a Cub. ;D

Seriously, did they total a Champ for hail damage? It must have been badly under insured if they did.

The fabric didn't look seriously damaged. Surely hail damage on fabric would be mostly cosmetic. As Will noted, someone is very likely to get a good deal on this.

I know this is a Cub site, but Champs are very good airplanes too.......more comfortable, easier to get in and out of and a little faster. They just don't like to get off the ground as well.

JimR

WWhunter

Reaction score
I MIGHT go take a look at it if I can find the time.. It says "holes" so a little FAA certified "duct tape" should fix it. LOL
WW

P

Paul Smith

Jim,

What do you think about the ring cracks, would that be repairable by rejuvinating the area, hoping to get the paint to flow into the crack and seal it up?

Paul

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if you could ever repair the finish to an acceptable cosmetic level, but a rejuvenator would be my first thing to try. The cracking should not effect the airworthiness at all, unless it cracks al the way to the fabric allowing UV rays. You could determine this by looking inside the wing in bright sunlight to see if you have any visible light showing through. If there is, you have UV penetration. I really doubt the silver underneath the color is cracked though. If it its, you might have some suspect fabric you would have to patch. It takes a pretty good sized piece of hail to damage fabric.....much bigger than it takes to dent aluminum. I'm not so sure about the final coat. Even with Aerothane, I don't think it is as flexible as Poly-Spray or Butyrate dope.

I've seen lots of plane with ringworms which lasted a long time.

WWhunter

Reaction score
Its not the ringworm I am worried about...its the holes! Had to be some pretty severe hail to put holes through the fabric unless it was at the point of needing replacement.
Keith

j3cub

Former Owner and Admin
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? That isn't a Cub. ;D
I know this is a Cub site, but Champs are very good airplanes too.......more comfortable, easier to get in and out of and a little faster. They just don't like to get off the ground as well.
JimR
Jim, I know, I know, but the Champ was the first airplane my dad took me up in and Who knows, you might buy and then sell this one for a Cub! ;D

Will

jimrice

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Will,

If I buy another plane, it will need to be large enough to live in........ I am trying to sell my Starduster to thin out the herd some. I need some room so I can finish my Cub. It is really tight in our hangar right now!!!!!!

My wife has decreed that 3 airplanes is too many, at least at the present time.

JimR