• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

NOS U.S. Royal Airplane Tires & Grove Brakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshlober

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This week we installed Grove brakes, a project I've been debating for many years. At the same time, we installed a pair of NOS U.S. Royal Airplane 8.00x4 tires with a 1959 date code. I flew the Cub from San Luis Obispo, CA to Phoenix, AZ to do this project with a childhood friend who is a 787 Captain, CFII, A&P and IA. We got our licenses together in 1978, when we were both seventeen. After the brakes & tires were changed, we flew the Cub and his Rearwin Sky Ranger to Cottonwood, AZ to hang out and do some more flying. Our flights around Sedona in the Navy N3N and Cub were some of the most spectacular I've ever experienced.

"U.S. Royal Aircraft tires were part of United States Rubber Company which was found in Connecticut in 1892. They were a top provider of aircraft tires from their founding as well as their transition to Uniroyal Tire in 1961. Michelin acquired Uniroyal in 1990. Fun fact.....United States Rubber Company was one of the original 12 stocks in Dow Jones Industrial Average. That's going back to 1896."
Here are some photos...

20220930_162502.jpg

20220930_162529.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

20220929_111550.jpg

Latest posts

Back