• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

NiCad Battery Care

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stearmann4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

So I'm getting the Cub ready for it's XC adventure from WA to NY, and realize that I've neglected my handheld radio (KX-99), or ignored it's inadequacies because I've been flying out of a grass strip.

Now I'm moving to a towered airport (with 121 airline service no less), and I'm pretty sure they'll want to talk to me. My trusty KX-99 still brick works well, but the batteries are getting to be an issue, so I'm addressing them for the short term.

Li-Ion batteries are available, but I can't find chargers for them, other than pulling the radio each time and charging the batteries through it. I did find a neat, little Li-on wall trickle charger that will plug into the radio, but not sure of the compatibility.

I can readily buy more Ni-Cads, but trying to recall my Ni-Cad charging technique. Do I have to completely drain the N-cad before recharging, and then pull it off the charger at some determined time, rather then keeping it plugged in like the Li-Ions?

I could just buy a new, modern radio but after reading pages of archives on here, I don't have enough time or patience to sort out a new radio and intercom system for the trip.

Mike-

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back